In 2015, we created Retro as a temporary style to help ease the transition to Paper Lantern for our X3 users. The Retro style has far outlived its life expectancy, and it has now come time to officially bid Retro a fond farewell.
Starting with cPanel & WHM version 96, we are phasing out support for the Retro Style. Here’s what to expect:
- Brand new installations of cPanel & WHM will default to the Glass style for all new accounts. This update does not affect existing installations of cPanel & WHM or third-party themes.
- We will no longer introduce new features or bug fixes for the Retro style.
- We will end QA testing of the Retro style.
- Security fixes will continue at the direction of our Security Team.
- There are no plans to release the Retro style to the community as an open-source project at this time.
This is the start of a voluntary transition away from the Retro style. Although we discourage server owners from allowing end-users to select the Retro style going forward, mandatory migrations away from Retro aren’t planned yet. We do recommend that you plan to switch these users to Paper Lantern, Glass or Basic.
Look for more deprecation announcements in the future about the Retro style as we work to improve your experience!